Monday, April 14, 2008

Mudcat Saunders on Obama Blunder


The New York Times recently interviewed Mudcat Saunders and asked him for his take on 'BitterGate,' the Obama gaffe heard around the world.

“It could mean he’s rendered himself unelectable,” Mr. Saunders said. “This is a perfect example of why Democrats lose elections.”
As Bud White of No Quarter writes, "Saunders is an expert on rural politics." He's the political strategist who helped elect Mark Warner and Jim Webb in Virginia.

Mudcat must've had his phone ringing off the wall this past weekend. CNN Politics.com also features the Mudster for a Southern Democratic perspective:

Dave ‘Mudcat’ Saunders, the Virginia-based Democratic strategist credited with helping big-name politicians appeal to rural voters, said Saturday Barack Obama has “got a bunch of explaining to do” over his claims that economically-frustrated Americans “cling to guns or religion” when they get “bitter.”

“I’m a southern boy myself,” Saunders told CNN by phone. “I don’t have a gun because I’m bitter, it’s because I’ve always had one. I don’t pray to God because I’m bitter. I pray to God because it makes my life better.”

[...]

“The one thing that I preached during this whole deal is we can’t be stereotyping anybody,” he said. “Well, Barack Obama just stereotyped my people out in rural America.”

“Here’s a guy who says he shouldn’t be stereotyped, but yet he stereotyped us.”

In a no-brainer, White of No Quarter adds, "Mudcat Saunders...deserves to be listened to closely".

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?