Sunday, March 19, 2006


Words from Dr. Shrink

From time to time, Carmen G., a clinical psychologist will post on Howling Latina. Here are her thoughts.

On this third anniversary of the war in Iraq, we pause to reflect, what does this conflict mean to us? How are we touched or impacted as individuals, as a society?

In my work as a clinical psychologist, I am constantly working with individuals to find their voice, not just any voice, but a voice that is just and balanced.

Do we not teach others to try to "work through conflicts" with the spirit of resolve and contact? Is righteousness, vindictiveness and anger superior to peace, cooperation and resolve?

I find that most of us are bombarded with anger reflected in people screaming at each other. As one client said to me "I just tune off. I can't listen to all the anger;" and another who said "I just turn off the news. I can't listen to all the bad news."

So on this anniversary, let's take a moment and contemplate, how do we turn people back on? How do we empower individuals to believe that they individually and collectively can make a difference?

"Oblique to the heart, the word a man seeks Seldom comes to life in a tongue of flame From the grate of silence where anger dreams And stutters in embers thought cannot reach." John O'Donohue

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?