Friday, May 05, 2006

Feliz Cinco de Mayo


In honor of an old battle between Mexico and the French army, with the help of friendly "gringos," today the United States celebrates "Cinqo de Mayo."

So let's see what news there is about Mexico or Chicanos.

Well, soon you will be able to smoke a little pot, snort a little coke or shoot up a little heroin in Mexico. Unless Fox changes his mind under heavy U.S. pressure.

Dick Morris is helping the campaign of the right-wing Felipe Calderon.

The flag-waving Minutemen are looking for volunteers to help them build a wall between the Mexican and U.S. border.

A British journalist quotes a British lord comparing anti-immigration Republican hysteria with the Nixon's "southern stategy" in the late 60s that capitalized on white bigotry.

And of course, lots and lots of fiestas; although they're mostly a U.S. invention. It seems folks in Mexico prefer to celebrate September 16 in honor of their Independence Day.

But don't let that stop you from shaking your salt and pepper and wasting your day away in Margaritaville. Sing along with the Parrot Man and get WILD!

Nibblin' on sponge cake,
watchin' the sun bake;
All of those tourists
covered with oil.
Strummin' my six string on my front porch swing.
Smell those shrimp
They're beginnin' to boil.
Wasted away again in Margaritaville,
Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt.
Some people claim
that there's a woman to blame,
But I know it's nobody's fault.
Don't know the reason,
Stayed here all season
With nothing to show but this brand new tattoo.
But it's a real beauty,
A Mexican cutie,
how it got here
I haven't a clue.
Wasted away again in Margaritaville,
Searchin' for my lost
shaker of salt.
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame,
Now I think, - hell it could be my fault.
I blew out my flip flop,
Stepped on a pop top,
Cut my heel, had to cruise on back home.
But there's booze in the blender,
And soon it will render
That frozen concoction that helps me hang on.
Wasted away again in Margaritaville
Searchin' for my lost shaker of salt.
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame,
But I know, it's my own damn fault.
Yes, and some people claim that there's a woman to blame
And I know it's my own damn fault.

Comments:
Nice! Excellent post- especially considering all day, all I've heard is "I'mna get DRUNK tonight!"

I'm like, "uh, thanks for...telling me...because I really..care. Except not really."

Margaritaville, however, is actually in Key West, Florida. I've been. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?